If you’ve ever used VirusTotal to scan your Apps (.apk), at some point you would’ve seen an irritating result with ‘Babable’ Antivirus marking your App as unsafe with “PUP.HighConfidence”.
So what is PUP.HighConfidence?
Well, PUP stands for ‘Potentially Unwanted Program’ & the HighConfidence just means that the chances are high that the app is PUP!
Here is what I did & listing below my findings on PUP.HighConfidence –
• I made a simple App which had an EditText, Button & a TextView.
• The App was simple, it would show the typed text in TextView on Button’s click.
• I uploaded this App on VirusTotal & here’s what the result looked like below –
• After many tries, I then thought of uploading a Release (Non Debuggable) version of the App.
(Previously, I uploaded a Debug version)
But the error still remained! 🙁
• Next, I then signed the App with a production key & uploaded the same on VirusTotal & below is what I found –
Even if the App is Non Debuggable version but is still signed with the Default Android Debug keystore, it is marked as PUP.HighConfidence!